Monday, March 7, 2016

Custom Dog House for My Dogo Argentino's

I am building a custom dog house for my Dogo Argentino's. I have to have a place to put my dogo's when my females are in heat and also a safe place for them when it's nice out. When Faith went into heat last month I had no place to put her and my male Dante to keep them out of trouble. Dante went nuts and he should not have been around my kids. So I had to convert a dog house that my nephew used when he was staying with me into a safe shelter for my dogs. The old dog house had no front so I installed one and wrapped heavy duty plastic around it to keep them warm and dry.
This is the makeshift dog house I through together, Dante started to remove the plastic.
So today I started to build my dog's a new house. You want to face the front of the house to the south and the back to the north. That way the cold northern winds will not blow into your doghouse and the sun will hit the front.
I want the house to be eight foot by four foot because I'm and going to make a place for two dogs, so the each have there own space.
Here is the 4'x8' frame made from 2'x6's
I started off making the floor frame out of 2x6's with the slats being 16" apart so I can install R19 insulation.


I installed  4'x8' thick plywood on the bottom to hold in the insulation and keep the dogs from getting at it.


I installed the R19 insulation and sealed all the seams so no air bugs can get in.


Than I installed another piece of plywood on top.


Dante checking out my work.


 I had some vinyl flooring that was given to me, it is really good stuff and I have used linoleum before and it just will not hold up to a big dog within a year you will be replacing it, so you will want to spend the extra upfront to get the good stuff. 

 I built the rear wall 3' 1/2 feet high and installed it onto the frame. I had to install the plywood before I put it up because the frame is hooked to the fence so there would be no way to install it later.


 I built tapered walls for the sides the back being 3' and 1/2 feet and the front being 4' and installed them. This was all I got done today but I will keep posting so everyone can see my progress.

Dante and Faith hanging out in the dog run, soon to be a nice kennel.

The photos of installing the insulation in the walls and then putting the plywood on are missing.  

 
Roof was built out of 2x6x8 and than installed, insulation was put on one half of the roof, because the other half will be over the deck. 



As you can see I did not put plywood on the front yet, because I wanted to run wires for the lights through the wall, also it made it easier to install the flooring I used for the inside walls.

Flooring walls installed.

Here you can see that I have painted the top to make it easier when I install the roof, I also have installed the electrical wire, light on the inside with a 40 watt LED bulb, an LED flood light and a heater inside.


I installed the insulation and cut vent hole at the top to vent out the warm air in the summer.


Here is a front view of the house.

I installed the plywood, the roof which I had left over from when I roofed my house and painted the dog house.

I installed the vents

The metal roof.

Installing the doggie doors.

The doggie doors installed and working on the steps.

Painted view of the back.

The run and house are in a well shaded area, to keep the dogs cool in the summer.

Steps installed and building a small ramp off to the side for puppies.

My nephew had some metal fencing left over from a job and let me have it to split the run in two. It also looks really nice too.

we rebuilt the fence around the run and installed new door hardware.

back view of the run.

Side view of the run and I installed skirting around the dog house to keep the dogs warm in the winter.

Built a second door for the other side of the run.

Inside view of the run.

The black fencing looks really nice.

Front view of the run.

Inside the Run.

Finished!



No comments:

Post a Comment