Friday, March 4, 2016

Dogo Argentino Heat Cycle


Sorry that it has been so long between posts but I have been working my butt off taking care of my kids and my crazy dogs. Also my brother who is in the Air Force came for a visit after 3 years, so there was not a lot of time for writing. All in all it was a nice couple of weeks
 
So Faith is just about done with her 21 day heat cycle. For the first ten days I had to keep the dogs separated and than after that I would let then come together once a day and than I would bring Faith back into the house and put her in her cage for about an hour. After that I would let her out to go to the bathroom. Than I bring into the shower and clean her up. Once she is done with her bath I would feed her for the second time and than let her hang out in the house for the rest of the day. Faith is a very laid back dog and the puppies between her and Dante should have a great temperament.
 
 It has been a crazy 20 days and I have learned a lot. The first thing that I learned is that dogs are very unpredictable when the breeding instinct takes over. Male dogs become aggressive and should not be around other males or even people. Dante is such a sweet dog but he turned into a total butt head the last month and I had to put him into a kennel outside.

The second thing that I learned is dealing with a female in heat is a rough job. You have to change out their underwear and pads about 4 times a day. You must make sure that you dispose of the pads were none of the dogs can get to them. The dogs think the pads are like candy and must have them, even little roses was eating the nasty things.

Third be prepared to do a lot of laundry, cleaning underwear and dog blankets once or twice a day.

Forth you have to keep the dogs clean which means a lot of dog bathing and if you have a dog that does not like it, it's even more fun.

 





 So anyone out there who is thinking about breeding Dogo Argentinos, just be prepared for a lot of extra work on top of taking care of 100 pound plus dog.

I know that there are a lot of people who want to cut courners and breed dogs for money, you don't breed for money you breed to better the dogs and because you love them.

I love my dogs, but they are a lot of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment